Barnardos South Coast representatives, Centre Manager Maria Corsiglia, Program Manager Lisa O’Grady, Case Worker Stephen Vass, Program Manager Sarah Beale and Service Coordinator Siegfried Leland attended the Local Government Regional NAIDOC awards dinner on Saturday 29th July, in Kiama.
The Illawarra-based Local Government Regional NAIDOC Awards was hosted annually for the last 10 years. The awards are an important time to celebrate the achievements of our local First Nations people and to reconnect and collaborate as a community.
The ceremony attracted more than 200 members of the Aboriginal community, their Elders and other dignitaries, as well as members of the wider community, community services, government and corporate sector.
It was a magnificent night celebrating the contribution and achievements of Aboriginal communities in Kiama, Shoalhaven, Shellharbour and Wollongong.
It was such a wonderful evening to celebrate our elders and acknowledge the efforts of local people for their dedication to our communities.
The night started with the smoking ceremony performed by Aunty Gwenda, Uncle Stan and Kristian Jarrett, traditional owners of the Dharawal Nation, continued with the pouring of the sand and the Welcome to Country.
Entertainment included comedian Andy Saunders, dance performance by Gumaraa, performance by Bandria McLeod, Koori woman from the Yuin Nation and Monaro Nation, and a performance by Matty Walker, proud Yuin singer and songwriter from Wollongong.
- Young Achiever of the Year – Emma McMahon
- Young Achiever of the Year – Amelia Wall
- Organisation/Project of the Year – Coomaditchie United Aboriginal Corporation
- Community Volunteer of the Year – Korin Koutsomihalis
- Community Representative of the Year – Richard Ardler
- Outstanding Contribution to Reconciliation – Tullimbar Public School
- Aboriginal Elder of the Year – Uncle Tom Brown
- Aboriginal Elder of the Year – Aunty Annette Lonesborough
We were delighted to see Coomaditchie winning the Organisation of the year award in recognition of the brilliant work they do in our communities.
Congratulations to the winners, and thank you to everyone who attended this year’s Awards ceremony, representing Barnardos.